English 1101 Nuggets quiz
Copy and paste these questions into a Word document.
1) Describe briefly (two sentences max.) any situation or event you thought funny or disturbing in a movie or serial TV show you've seen recently (a TV series, that is, with actors, not a talk show, news show, etc.).
2) Introduce the following quotation from the first sentence of the first paragraph on p. 191 in our Little, Brown Reader: "she will not even look at me."
3) Introduce the following quote from the one-sentence paragraph that is the first new "paragraph" on p. 193 in our Little, Brown Reader: "So this is what they did."
4) Underline or put in quote marks the following titles:
a) The Simpsons [TV show]
b) I Could Not Stop for Death, [poem]
c) Trifles [short play]
d) Ms. Magazine
e) Macbeth [by Shakespeare]
f) Are There Traditional Families Still? [essay]
g) Chipper Jones Goes Yard [an article], from USA Today
h) The Necklace [short story]
i) The Scarlet Letter
j) Gone With the Wind [the movie]
Rewrite #'s 5-7, punctuating as needed (do not remove any of the quotation marks):
5) The closest Mom comes to swearing is saying “shoot” “darn” “Jiminey” or “Jumping Jehoshaphat”
6) Little Ryan's favorite question is “Why”
7) Did Bill Clinton really say “dammit”
8) Introduce and quote a passage from any article in The Little, Brown Reader, using an ellipsis to indicate that you have left out words from within a single sentence.
9) Introduce and quote a passage from any article in The Little, Brown Reader, using an ellipsis to indicate that you have left out an entire sentence or more.